Tests and Quizzes
- When? 3 May (Fri) afternoon session
- 1 hour of Paper 1. This consists of 40 multiple choice questions. Answer on the bubble sheet. No calculators or Data Booklets are permitted, but a Periodic Table is supplied at the end of the questions. You can tear off this periodic table for reference.
- 1 hour of Paper 2. This consists of 40 points of short answers. Data Booklets are provided, and calculators are permitted.
- What? See "topics" section below for a listing of what content is included. Use the Filter and Sort functions to identify what is in HL/core syllabus. Questions from previous tests reappears in both papers. Please do not make the same mistakes again.
- How do I do well?
- If you have been doing 3.5 hr / wk of practice every week, and Anki decks for maintenance, then in this week just do some of the past Y1 exams (printed for you). Review your past mistakes in previous tests.
- If you have had some weeks on, some weeks off, and irregular Anki decks, then in this order (as time allows):
- Practice with end-of-textbook questions,
- Review your previous tests,
- Practice with past papers by topics,
- Practice with past tests (printed)
Term grades calculations are tabulated as follows:
Composed grades are formed from term grades and exams:
|Term 1||Term 2||Y1 exam||Term 3||Trials||IA|
Predicted grades admit the following exceptions:
- language / background disadvantage. Students who had significant language/academic background deficiency will have their Term 1 grade omitted.
- IA. IAs that are likely to be significantly better / worse than current performance gets a modifier. This is usually < ±5%.
Once a term I email each of you a graph with all assessments plotted as a time-series. This is to help you help me make sure my numbers are legit, and for you to get a sense of your progression.
Our internal grade boundaries are based on the IB chemistry grade boundaries. The distribution is as follows:
Each term you are also given an Effort Grade. For me, Effort Grade defaults to a
D. This is then modified up by
evidence of practice / maintenance. As a general rule of thumb,
|EG||Practice (hr/wk)||Maintenance (min)|
| ||3.5||10; 5 d/wk|
| ||2||10; 2 d/wk|
| ||1||10; 1 d/wk|
| ||cram before quizzes / tests||n/a|
I periodically sample the Big Chart for evidence. If you practice in other ways you need to show me evidence for them. I do not take intentions as substitute for actions.
The science department has a set of descriptors posted on the wall. These include attendance and attitude. For me some are expectataions, and others are quite subjective. These factor in the consideration in a minor way.
In practice I just calculate both variants for each student, and take the better one. Too-clever kids believe they can game the system and waltz throughout Term 1. Their poor preparations will dig them into a hole. ↩︎